Life Sciences Undergraduate Assistant Application
When to apply
MUST be available from 3-6pm on Fridays for a weekly meeting. Please remember that these meetings are mandatory.
- During weeks with labs, you will:
- Assist in the TA in the running of two lab sections each week. This includes arriving early to help prepare the lab for student use and remaining after lab to complete clean-up.
- Give 1 small (7 to 10 minute), pre-prepared mini-lecture during one lab on a specific topic directly related to that week's lab.
- Prepare multiple choice and short answer examination
questions based on lab material.
- During weeks in which there is no lab, you will attend a class on Fridays. In lab meetings you will:
- Learn relevant educational techniques and skills.
- Review experiences in the classroom.
- Review material to be taught in lab the following week.
- Additionally, each UA will be expected to prepare and
present, to the other UA's during the UA class (see #3), one
mini-lecture per quarter. This lecture will increase fellow UAs'
expertise at specific lab protocol.
Please submit your application early. If you are interested in a position next quarter, please apply anytime this quarter, and at least 2 weeks before the next quarter begins. If you are interested in a position that will be offered far in advance, such as 2 quarters later, we encourage you to wait to submit your application the quarter before, so we can have the most updated information.
The UA Program offers only a limited number of positions to undergraduate students each quarter. The selection process is based on the applicant's academic achievement, availability to attend the mandatory meetings and 2 lab sections per lab week (10 lab sections total for the entire quarter), motivation and desire in sharing your skills and knowledge, and a strong commitment to the program.
(2 weeks before the first day of instruction for the quarter.)
Notifications will be sent out via e-mail one week before the first day of instruction.
Late applications will be considered on the basis of space availability and qualifications. So please apply!
Please fill in the form below and click "submit" when finished.
Note: If you have filled out the form completely, it will be submitted
Please do not to fill this form out more than once